Recognising Best Practice in the delivery of Effective Travel Plans
What is Modeshift STARS?
Modeshift STARS is the Centre of Excellence for the delivery of Effective Travel Plans in Education, Business and Community settings. The scheme recognises schools, businesses and other organisations that have shown excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable and active travel.
The Modeshift STARS online Travel Plan Toolkit provides a comprehensive Travel Plan tool that assists in:
- Creating, developing and implementing Travel Plans
- Monitoring and evaluating Travel Plans and the initiatives contained within them
- Recognising and rewarding excellence in the promotion of sustainable and active travel
Modeshift STARS Schemes
National STARS accreditation is awarded to education, business and community settings that go above and beyond in developing, implementing and monitoring an Effective Travel Plan to bring about a change in travel behaviour and reduce the number of single occupancy vehicle journeys to, from and between their sites.
Launched in 2008, the STARS Education scheme is supported by the Department for Transport and has seen over 1,400 schools in England achieve accreditation since its inception. As of January 2020, 69 local authorities are participating in the scheme with well over 3,500 schools registered nationally. In the Autumn and Spring of each year, schools, local authorities and key partners come together for the National STARS School Travel Awards which recognise the outstanding schools from each local authority.
The STARS Business and Community schemes were developed on the back of the success of STARS Education and launched officially in April 2019. As of January 2020, there are 24 local authorities in England that use the system to develop and monitor Workplace and Residential Travel Plans for their areas, using the accreditation element to recognise the delivery of effective Travel Plans.
Modeshift STARS Aims
Modeshift STARS has the following aims:
- Enhance the quality and performance of Travel Plans – by providing a national standard and sharing best practice on the development and implementation of Travel Plans
- Promoting healthier lifestyles – by encouraging people to get active through more walking and cycling, thereby creating healthier and more productive communities
- Creating safer environments – by helping organisations to identify and address travel and transport issues to enable safer journeys for all
- Promoting urban and rural regeneration – by ensuring that places are well connected and that people are well informed of the travel options that are available to them
- Promote sustainable development – by ensuring that the transport needs of new developments are catered for and ensuring organisations are good neighbours that care about the local environment and their impact upon it
- Improving Air Quality – by reducing the number of vehicles and congestion around sites to improve the quality of air locally
Find out about the Fees for Modeshift STARS
The Modeshift STARS Journey
Modeshift STARS is an online Travel Plan toolkit that supports the creation of a Travel Plan followed by a continuous process of planning, delivering and reviewing as set out in the Modeshift STARS Journey below