Travel Planning for Education, Business and Community settings
Modeshift STARS is the national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel. The scheme encourages schools across the country to join in a major effort to increase levels of sustainable and active travel in order to improve the health and well-being of children and young people. Every school in England (outside of London) can participate in Modeshift STARS for free. On completion of an application for Modeshift STARS, schools will automatically have a brand new national standard School Travel Plan.
Five steps to getting started
1. Visit www.modeshiftstars.org and select the Modeshift STARS Business logo.
2. Choose your location from the list of local authorities that appears on the next page then select the ‘Register’ tab from the top right corner of the page.
3. From the registration page, enter your name, select ‘Site’ and then select the role that is most appropriate to your position in the organisation (e.g. Travel Plan Coordinator).
4. Ensure that the location listed under ‘Your LA’ is correct and then select your site from the drop down menu. If it is not listed, select ‘other’ and then enter the name of your organisation into the box.
5. Complete the rest of the registration form and then select ‘Register’.
What next? Your application will go to your local authority for approval. As soon as they accept your registration you will receive an automated email confirming that you have access to the system. Then you are ready to begin your STARS Journey.
Contact us for more information
Who is Modeshift?
Established in 2007, Modeshift is a not for profit membership organisation funded by the public, private and community sectors in the United Kingdom.
Modeshift aims to secure increased levels of safe, active and sustainable travel in educational establishments, businesses and communities thereby engendering widespread travel behaviour change in the long term. It seeks to do this by representing its members’ needs and supporting sustainable travel practitioners through a range of new and existing services.
Using its position as a leading organisation in sustainable travel, Modeshift aims to be the centre of excellence for the promotion of sustainable travel choices in education, workplace and community settings by raising standards of industry delivery. This includes establishing a standard and level of implementation for travel plans, sharing best practice on the provision of travel choices information, and recognising excellence in the delivery of sustainable travel initiatives in schools and workplaces.
Ultimately Modeshift works with its members and partners in striving towards a world in which communities are free to make healthy and sustainable travel choices where active travel is seen as the norm.