Recognising Best Practice in Sustainable School Travel Through the Delivery of Travel Plans
Modeshift STARS is the Centre of Excellence for the delivery of Effective Travel Plans in Education, Business and Community settings. The STARS Education scheme recognises schools and other educational establishments that have shown excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable and active travel.
Launched in 2008, the STARS Education scheme is supported by the Department for Transport and has seen over 1,400 schools in England achieve accreditation since its inception. In the Autumn and Spring of each year, schools, local authorities and key partners come together for the National STARS School Travel Awards which recognise the outstanding schools from each local authority.
The Modeshift STARS online Travel Plan Toolkit provides a comprehensive Travel Plan tool that assists in:
- Creating, developing and implementing Travel Plans
- Monitoring and evaluating Travel Plans and the initiatives contained within them
- Recognising and rewarding excellence in the promotion of sustainable and active travel
Modeshift STARS offers National Accreditation for sites that have demonstrated best practice in the implementation of their Travel Plan. Sites are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold accreditation, with Silver and Gold reserved only for those sites that achieve a reduction in single-occupancy car journeys to/from their site.
Our latest statistics for the STARS Education scheme are included below:
- Between the 2015/16 and 2018/19 academic years, car use on the journey to school for all STARS accredited schools has reduced from 27.66% down to 25.16%, an overall shift away from single-family car trips of 9%
- Over the same period, car use for Silver and Gold accredited schools fell from 27.56% to 21.43%, a reduction of 22.2%.
- All STARS accredited school achieved an average increase of walking to school of 2.4%, increasing from 42.83% in 2015/16 to 43.86% in 2018/19
- Silver and Gold level STARS schools saw walking increase from 44.01% to 46.08% between 2015/16 and 2018/19, an increase of 4.7%
- Gold STARS accredited schools have seen cycling levels increase from 6.53% to 7.77% between 2015/16 and 2018/19, an increase of 19%.
What is Modeshift STARS?
Modeshift STARS is the national schools awards scheme that has been established to recognise schools that have demonstrated excellence in supporting cycling, walking and other forms of sustainable travel. The scheme encourages schools across the country to join in a major effort to increase levels of sustainable and active travel in order to improve the health and well-being of children and young people. Every school in England (outside of London) can participate in Modeshift STARS for free. On completion of an application for Modeshift STARS, schools will automatically have a brand new national standard School Travel Plan.